The vast majority of patients can manage their hemorrhoid symptoms with simple lifestyle modifications. I have found the following measures can greatly improve a patients quality of life.
- Hydration is key. Please drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Being hydrated helps ensure a soft moist bowel motion which can lead to less irritation of your hemorrhoids
- Increase fibre intake. Fibre supplements include over the counter Metamucil, benefibre, psyllium husk. In addition, prunes are a natural laxative.
- Soaking your bottom in warm salt water for 10 minutes twice daily. You can add a cup of Epsom salts to warm water. Please ensure the temperature of the water is comfortable.
- Avoiding trigger foods. These are often spicey foods, carbonated beverages such as Cola
- Wiping with wet wipes such as baby wipes can help. Please ensure they are unscented
- Wearing loose cotton under garments help some patients
- Some patients find the use of over the counter ointments can be soothing such as Anusol, Preparation H, Proctosedyl. Any drugstore will have numerous hemorrhoid ointments that be trialed without a prescription
In my experience, if these measures are done regularly most minor hemorrhoidal symptoms can be managed without surgical intervention.
If your symptoms are not improving or worsening please seek out medical attention. You can call my office to book a follow-up appointment. These are recommendations and not a substitute for formal medical evaluation .